What is a Healthy Relationship?
Lewis and Gossett (1999) define eight essential characteristics of a healthy relationship:
- Both partners participate in the definition of the relationship.
- There is a strong bond characterized by levels of both closeness and autonomy.
- Each individual in the relationship is interested in each other's thoughts and feelings.
- The expression of feelings is encouraged.
- The inevitable conflicts that do occur do not escalate or lead to despair.
- Problem-solving skills are well developed.
- Most basic values are shared.
- The ability to deal with change and stress is well developed.
(24-hour confidential voice-mail)